When you’ve completed your academic review and skill development training, you’ll be ready for the final and most important phase of earning your entry-level diver certification: your open-water training dives
Open water training consists of five dives conducted over two days. Each of the dives consists of the opportunity to apply the skills you mastered in confined water, and to make a guided dive under the supervision of your instructor and his or her assistants. Students have several options for completing their open-water training dives:
- From March through November, we run weekend-long checkout dive trips to the Florida Panhandle.
- Throughout the year, we run group dive vacations to exotic dive destinations around the globe. Most of these trips are suitable for students wishing to complete their open-water training dives.
- Do you already have a tropical vacation planned? We can provide you with a referral package that will enable you to complete your open-water training at the destination of your choice.
For more specific information, refer to the sheet issued in class.
Checkout Dive Weekends
For most of our students, the best part about learning to dive at Harry’s Dive Shop is the last weekend, where you actually get out and go diving. Weather permitting, we do the first day of open-water training on the wrecks off Panama City Beach, Florida. This provides a wonderful opportunity to experience wrecks, coral, tropical fish and the fun of boat diving in salt water.
For the second day, we generally go to nearby Vortex Spring, which has what can be exceptionally clear fresh water and plenty to see and do. (This is also one of our alternate locations if weather does not permit us to dive the ocean on Saturday.)
Your instructor will provide you with information on meeting times and locations, and places to stay. Available checkout dive weekends include:
- Saturday-Sunday, May 20-21, 2017
- Saturday-Sunday, June 10-11, 2017
- Saturday-Sunday, July 15-16, 2017
- Saturday-Sunday, August 19-20, 2017
- Saturday-Sunday, September 23-24, 2017
- Saturday-Sunday, October 21-22, 2017
- Saturday-Sunday, November 11-12, 2017
Please be aware that, while we make every effort to keep our listings accurate and up to date, you should always call the store to confirm starting dates and times.
More In-Depth Information
- Overview of what’s involved
- Course prerequisites
- Get started now with eLearning
- Knowledge review and skill development
- Where we train
- Required equipment
- FAQs and other information
Get More Information
Use the form below.