To get to an unfamiliar location on land, we consult a map, road signs or GPS. Under water, there are none of these things. You can, however, use a compass as a directional reference. But, the compass is only as good as your working knowledge and experience using it correctly.
When you begin and end your dive at the correct location, you feel good, look good and conserve energy. But not everyone has a good sense of direction, especially underwater.
Hints for more successful navigating:
- A short pencil is better than a long memory.
- Know which leg is dominant to account for deviation.
- Have a plan and stick to it.
- Pay attention to how strong and in which direction the current is running for adequate compensation.
This course has the following prerequisites:
- Be at least 12 years old.
- Possess a minimum of Open Water Diver certification.
- Be able to either answer No to all of the questions on the RSTC Medical History form, or secure a physician’s approval prior to taking part.
This course consists of one classroom/pool session. If you would like to receive a Specialty Diver certification for this course, you must also complete open-water training dives. Your instructor will have details.
All training takes place right here at Harry’s Dive Shop. We are among the few dive centers in the country with our own indoor, heated swimming pool. This 16-foot-deep pool was designed specifically for diver training. It provides unbeatable convenience and enjoyment.
This course is just one component of our complete Advanced Open Water Diver program — although it can be taken separately, subject only to time of year and instructor availability. Please contact Harry’s Dive Shop for more information.
Course fees may vary depending on group size, time of year and other factors. Base price for a group of at least two people is $150 per person. Please contact Harry’s Dive Shop for more information.
The course fee includes:
- All instruction.
- Self-study materials.
Students are responsible for supplying:
- Personal diving equipment (see list below).
- Certification card processing.
Your instructor will have details and costs for the optional open-water training dives.
students are responsible for supplying the following:
- Mask, snorkel, fins.
- Weight system, weights.
- Adequate exposure protection.
- One cylinder.*
- Buoyancy Control Device (BC).*
- Regulator/alternate air source.*
- Underwater compass.
*If you do not own these items, you can use ones from the rental department at Harry’s Dive Shop for the pool session.
Get More Information
Use the form below.