December 26, 2014-January 11, 2015: The Great Barrier Reef is one of the seven wonders of the natural world, and pulling away from it, and viewing it from a greater distance, you can understand why. It is larger than the Great Wall of China and the only living thing on earth visible from space.
One of Australia’s most remarkable natural gifts, the Great Barrier Reef is blessed with the breathtaking beauty of the world’s largest coral reef. The reef is home to an abundance of marine life and comprises of over 3,000 individual reef systems and coral cays and literally hundreds of picturesque tropical islands with some of the world’s most beautiful sun-soaked beaches.
The Spoilsport is a large, comfortable, 110-foot liveaboard catamaran, with all the amenities one would expect. Learn more at MikeBall.com.
To accommodate our non-diving friends and family, the plan is to tour the Australian outback for a full week before the divers get on the boat for another week. While nondivers are welcome on the boat, they may opt to increase the land excursions or begin the journey home perhaps with a stopover somewhere like Hawaii?
Options remain open with only the Spoilsport being deposited and reserved.
Cindy and Mel visited Australia in 2006 and thus have experienced opinions with which tours are preferred. This is will give your some ideas.
These attractions are on the list to consider: Port Douglas, Undara Lava Tubes two-day Outback Experience, Cobbold Gorge, Cape Tribulation, Daintree Rainforest, Skyrail, Rainforest Cableway, Kuranda Scenic Railway, Tjapukai Cultural Center, Hot Air Ballooning (weather dependent), White-Water Rafting.
Taking Deposits Now: Currently limited to 16 divers. There is currently no limit to the number of non-divers who can take part in the land portion of the trip.
Who is This Trip Ideal For?
This may be the perfect trip if you:
- Want to experience the “Land Down Under” both above and below water..
- Want to get in as many dives as possible during the week you’re at sea.
- Want the option to travel with nondivers.
- Want to see the world’s largest barrier reef, and its incredible corals and fish.
- Want to see sharks, mantas and other large critters.
When Does It Take Place?
Our travel schedule is as follows:
- We leave home on December 26, 2014.
- We return on or around January 11, 2015.
Details of the above-water portion of the trip will be fleshed out in the months to come.
How Much Does it Cost?
Trip Pricing: Final pricing will depend on exchange rates, but will generally range from $3,400-$5,000 per person. When deciding to go on this trip, please select your preference of cabin and make your room request clearly known and recorded. We will make every effort to accommodate you but be aware this will be on a first-come, first-served basis. We currently have two of each room types reserved. These are:
- Premium, ocean view, double bed, private bath
- Standard, ocean view, twin beds, private bath
- Club, twin bunk, private bath
- Budget, twin bunk, shared bath
The Australia dollar is often close to but slightly less than the US dollar. The actual cabin price in US dollars will fluctuate with the world economy and exchange rates until all fees are paid in full.
Deposit and Balance Due: Requirements are as follows:
- Deposits: Being accepted now
- Balance due (TBA)
- Be aware there are no refunds after the Balance Due date unless we find someone else to take your spot
What’s Included: The basic trip price includes the following (if applicable):
- Eight days/seven nights on board
- Tax and service charges
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner on board
- Unlimited diving
- Use of tanks and weights
Not Included: Travelers are responsible for the following (if applicable):
- Round-trip air fare from New Orleans
- Airport transfers at destination
- Meals while in transit and on shore
- Land-based accommodations, meals and activities
- Trip insurance
- Crew gratuity
Additional Requirements: Travelers must supply:
- Valid passport with six months left past date of return and two blank pages
- Diver and/or Nitrox certification cards
- Dive insurance
- Signed waiver and Statement of Understanding
- Personal dive gear
- Audible and visual surface signals, reel or spool
Get More Information
Use the form below.